My Hair Removal Epilator….I Just Love To Be Plucked!
The first time I saw a hair removal epilator I was amazed. It looked like a magical twisting piece of coil that had a secret power of some kind that allowed it to neutralize and vaporize anything resembling a hair that got in its wake. I was probably twelve at the time. My mother had a hair removal epilator that she tucked away carefully in the drawer that also held her ‘unmentionables.’
When I was old enough to finally get my hands on a hair removal epilator, it was the very same brand and style that Mom had. It was a gift she gave me on my sixteenth birthday. I was pretty excited about being able to use it on my legs and underarms. I couldn’t wait to plug it in and let it rip.
Well, rip was exactly what it did. I swore I’d never shave my armpits again, and while I eventually did, I never put anything resembling an epilator near my legs until I was in college. That’s where I discovered the silky smooth shaves from all kinds of razors. To be honest, what won me over was what my clean shaved, tanned legs did to the boys. Once I unlocked that secret I was well on my way to adventures I had never experienced before. All as a result of a bit of shaving cream and a dare…
Ellie’s Top 10 Epilators
The one tool I never mastered at the time was the hair removal epilator. Girls in my dorm swore by them. The best I could do was swear at mine. Finally someone handed me what was probably the best hair removal epilator ever created. It was formed to fit my hand. It didn’t tear, rip, shred or pull hair out of my skin.
What this means basically is that while a razor cuts a hair off at the skin’s surface, and epilator goes deeper. For girls like me who like to wear heels and short skirts on occasion, the epilator trim means many more days between trims because it takes that much longer for the hair to regrow.
Skipping past the science of it I, can tell you my legs are smoother for much longer than they are when I shave with even my best safety razor. There really is no other way to put it than that. If you’ve been scared off by the old style epilators for women that cut much like a weed whacker, forget those days.
1). Philips HP6401 Satinelle Epilator, In White or Gray
In the world of the hair removal epilator, the Philips HP6401 is pretty spectacular. It has what Philips likes to refer to as an “efficient epilation system” that they say removes hair from the root. All I can say is that whenever this unit roams anywhere near unwanted hair on my body it gets the job done.
I’d like to say that the hair just shoots out of my pores to be captured by the stupendous epilation system like quills from a porcupine, but you do need direct contact.
Even then the Philips HP6401 proves why it is one of the best epilators on the market. Combined with the ergonomic hand grip and completely washable epilation head it’s amazing, but you haven’t heard the best part.
When the boys at Philips started work on the hair removal epilator, someone must have tipped them off on how important it is to have such a well designed product actually exceed expectations. I honestly and truly mean that.
Not only does this amazing epilator deliver on all promises, it actually makes me promise to spend more time with it between trims. If this was around when I met my first epilator I would never have been scared off of them for as long as I was. The Philips HP6401 is my favorite plucker.
Benefits of the Philips Satinelle Epilator:
- Efficient epilation design system completely removes hair from the root
- Efficiency cap ensures gentle epilation in the most sensitive of areas
- 2 speed setting offers maximum performance
- Ergonomic design and grip for comfortable handling
- Washable epilation head for the best hygiene
2). Braun SE7681 Silk-épil 7 Wet and Dry Hair Removal Epilator
Probably the thing I love most about certain shaving tools is that many of them can be used wet or dry. When it comes to hair removal epilators, there are a number of them that also fall into this category.
This one such animal. I call this one an animal because the Braun Silk-épil actually has a total of forty close-grip tweezers that do all the work while you wave it around the area you want to become as bare as a baby’s bottom.
The Braun SE7681 has a Smartlight to help you find the fine hair. Trust me, the hair removal epilator has some kind of stray hair radar and will find the ones you think it’ll miss.
Just for fun, Braun included a total of 5 different attachmentswhich actually convert this multi tool into the kind of appliance every girl should own. The attachment names are self explanatory with the shaver head, trimmer cap, efficiency cap, sensitive area cap and facial cap.
Benefits of the Braun Wet and Dry Epilator:
- Perfect Wet and Dry epilator to use in the bath or shower for the sexiest smoothest legs and pubes
- 40 close-grip tweezers get in a remove the shortest and finest of hairs anywhere….
- 5 attachments including shaver head, trimmer cap, efficiency cap, sensitive area cap and facial cap means you can pluck anywhere, even down there you naughty girls
- 100% Cordless and portable
3). Emjoi AP-18 Emagine Dual Opposed 72 Tweezer Head Epilator
Okay, before I get into the details on the Emjoi AP-18 72 Tweezer Head Epilator I need to point out that if what you are looking for is a powerful and portable epilator for hair removal whilst traveling, this is your pick. As for where it measures in comparison to other hair removal epilator, this one is right up there on the epilator scale!.
I work for a large corporation where my department head likes to send me out of town to meet clients. One of his typical requests is that I pack a skirt. I also always pack my Emjoi “Emagine” and roll it up in the skirt I pack.
Yes, the odd conference allows me to hit the beach, or at least the pool room and when I’m near water I need to be in a bikini. The Emjoi AP-18 “Emagine” makes sure that I don’t have any embarrassing stray hairs showing even in my teeniest bikini. This hair removal epilator is one of the most delicate hair trimmers I have ever used. It whisks away unwanted hair as if it wasn’t even there with it’s Dual Opposed Staggered Heads. Trust Emjoi. They are on the ball when it comes women’s personal beauty products. Quick and painless.
Benefits of the Emjoi “Emagine” :
- Incorporates the worlds first Silver Ion Technology for hygiene
- I love the purr of a powerful motor with 72 tweezers for better hair removal…
- Patented Glide Technology makes removing hair for the Brazilian in those most “delicate areas” a breeze:)
- Designed for delicately removing hair on the chin, bikini line, upper lip,and underarms
- Brilliant for leg touch ups
- Slim and palm sized, the Emjoi “Emagine” is ideal for travel
4). The Bellabe Facial Hair Remover
The Bellabe Facial Hair Remover is exactly as the name implies. It is a hair removal epilator and it’s a pretty good one. It’s also probably the most unique looking of all the epilators for women. If I had to describe it I’d say it resembles an oversized flexible Q-tip.
Essentially, the Bellabe Facial Hair Remover uses a spring action to pull hair away from areas you don’t want it to grow.
What may be the most efficient part of the use of this manual epilator is that several strands of hair are removed at a time which already makes it faster than tweezing. Because of the unique design, the Bellabe Facial Hair Remover comes in a handy carry tube. That’s right, it has a tube not a case. I like this tool for a lot of reasons and keep one in the car glove compartment all the time.
The Bellabe hair removal epilator is easily one of the manual best epilators for camping, long road trips and late nights where you don’t want to start up a nosier one for fear of waking someone up.
Benefits of the Bellabe Epilator:
- Bellabe swiftly removes hairs by trapping them in the coils, plucking them out by the roots for a longer, hair free period
- Perfect for easily removing facial hair without damaging fragile skin. No nasty chemicals, clever choice these days ladies!
- Simple to whip out when you need a smooth beautiful and stray hair free complexion…
- Includes storage tube
5). Braun Series 3-3170 Silk Epil Epilator
Braun Se 3170 Silk Epil 3 Epilator, PinkThe first time I used a hair removal epilator on my legs I was horrified. It was many years ago back in the days when epilators didn’t have rechargeable stands or lights to see where you were trimming and something other than tiny little butcher knives cutting hair.
The Braun 3-3170 hair removal epilator would have been the best hair removal epilator to be introduced to epilating for the first time.
They stimulate skin to make epilation easy and then massage skin to assist it relaxing after epilation. Consider it your little massaging hair removal epilator. If that alone doesn’t make this one of the best epilators you’ve ever seen, wait until I give you details on the extras. In addition to a Smartlight for ease of use when you are trying to find those hard to locate hairs, there’s also a speed control.
Imagine a chainsaw with variable speed minus the noise, frequent chain oiling, tune ups, chains, rough cutting and weight. In other words, the Braun 3-3170 is so far away from a chainsaw, you’ll still want to yell ‘timber’ once the multiple tweezer system starts giving your legs a work out.
Benefits of the Braun Silk-épil 3170:
- Pretty, pink and deadly effective with 20 tweezers instantly removing unsightly hairs in just one pass!
- The SmartLight feature makes sure you don’t miss one single hair, love it thanks boys
- Massaging rollers stimulate your skin to ease the hair plucking process…
- Even those hairs which like to lie flat are lifted up with the Softlift tips and guided into those 20 efficient tweezers
- Choose your speed: 1 for extra gentle and 2 for super efficient
6). Emjoi Soft Caress Epilator – 36 Gold Plated Hypoallergenic Tweezers (Rechargeable)
Although I like to have a lot of bells and whistles on my handheld devices, when it comes to a hair removal epilator, I sometimes think practical is the best way to go.
The Emjoi Soft Caress Epilator is just an example.
The practical parts include that it is a rechargeable unit that runs with or without a cord, has two speed operation and a cleaning brush. There’s also a carrying bag and a massage attachment. I’ve seen and used a lot of hair removal epilators and I always turn to this one for a simple trim as it is one of the best epilators for simple touch ups.
Don’t get me wrong, it can handle the big jobs, too. If you are looking for a handy little unit that is perfect for hair removal on legs, under arms and on the bikini line, the Emjoi Soft Caress is the hair removal epilator for you.
It’s a joy to operate and even if I forget to charge it up I like that I can also use this womens epilator with a cord plugged in. When I’m in a hurry, which is just about more frequent than not, I like using this epilator for last minute touch ups when I’m putting on my makeup and notice a hair or two on my upper lip that start to annoy me to the point that if I don’t remove them they will bug me for the rest of the day.
Benefits of the Emjoi Soft Caress Epilator:
- Girls, we love Bling! 24 karat, gold plated tweezers work to hypoallergenically pluck hair super fast with 36 tweezer discs quickly and comfortably
- Pain reduction technology helps removes hair right down to .5 mm in length
- Excellent choice to use on soft skin areas such as the pubic area, bikini lines and underarm hairs
- Choice of 2 speed controls….with massaging finger tip attachments
- Leaves you hair free and smooth for up to 6 weeks
- Uses rechargeable batteries and can use with cord and cordless when traveling
7). Braun Silk-épil 5 5-280 – Electric Hair Removal Epilator, Ladies’ Electric Shaver, and Bikini Trimmer
If it wasn’t Braun who came up with the amazing technology behind the Silk-épil 5 hair removal epilator I could have sworn it was NASA. This model puts the high in high tech and the tech in high tech. Okay, that wasn’t what I was going for but you’ll understand me better in a moment.
Add to that an ergonomic design for perfect grip and angle, a pivoting head to perfect the perfect angle and a Smartlight to identify the spot you need the perfect angle and you’ve got a space age hair removal epilator that even Judy Jetson would drool over.
Speaking of drooling, the fact that I can use this thing wet or dry gets me drooling. The most amazing part – yes, there’s still more – is that the Close-Grip Technology allows this hair removal epilator to remove hair as short as 0.5-millimetres or the height of your average grain of sand found anywhere but in Texas.
If you are not so hardcore but really, really want to appear like a bad girl, this epilator for woman will not only increase your street cred, it may make you friends you never knew you had.
Benefits of the Braun Silk-épil 5:
- The Ultimate Wet & Dry epilator to use in the shower or the bath or shower for a gentle hair removal experience for the smoothest results
- 40 Close-grip tweezers efficiently make short work of even the shortest hairs down to .5mm
- Includes 5 attachments: shaver head, facial cap, trimmer cap, efficiency cap and sensitive area cap for epilating absolutely anywhere…
- Guarantees to give superior results on any area of the body
- Cordless for convenience
8). Philips Satin Perfect Deluxe Epilator
Probably the one thing that makes the Philips HP6576 hair removal epilator stand out from the rest is that instead of tiny blades, tweezers or any other grab or tug tool you can think of, they use ceramic discs. The tiny ceramic discs are textured and are hypoallergenic and it is because of the ceramic discs that many women rave about this product.
For those who have experienced problems with epilators that use any form of metal in the hair removal design, you will certainly want to give these ceramic discs a try as they do an incredible job.
I do want to explain what the big deal is with massaging stimulation.What the massaging action does is increases blood flow to the area being stimulated and that first speeds up healing of skin that just got stripped bare by bringing nutrients to the spot, and it also promotes healthy skin growth and hair regrowth.
The only difference here is that since the hair is removed deep below the skin’s surface, even the stimulation that assists with hair regrowth will not result in stubble for at least three weeks after use.
The Philips HP6576 hair removal epilator comes packaged with a shave, style and trim attachment and is washable. Well, the head is at least and that’s a pretty good thing as if anything on this tool should be washable I would want it to be the head.
As for how this one stacks up as one of the best epilators I would add it to that list. It’s not nearly as high tech as some other designs, but there are times when all I want is an epilator that’s going to be reliable and do what it’s designed for the moment I flick it on. Based on that alone the Philips HP6576 is just the model for that task.
Benefits of the Philips Satin Perfect Deluxe Epilator:
- The extra wide head along with textured ceramic discs remove th finest hairs in one single stroke. Love it!
- Hair-lifter vibrates and lifts flat-lying hairs to ensure they aren’t missed
- The massage system works to ease pain and to soothe skin
- Use the epilator to shave, trim and style for optimal beauty anywhere….
- Can’t see properly? No problem- the illuminating Smart Tweezers help you see any stray hairs
- 40 minutes of continuous use makes this one perfect for traveling
9). Epilady Legend 4 Full-Size Rechargeable Hair Removal Epilator
Anytime I see the word ‘legend’ or ‘classic’ or ‘old style’ in the name of a product I cringe just a little.
Okay, maybe it’s more of a twitch. All I’m saying here is that I know that with any of those words in a product name I am basically getting a revamped, new and improved, updated version of something that either went out of production or was discontinued for some reason.
While this isn’t always a bad thing, it does make me a bit on the cautious side.
In the case of the Epilady EP-810-33A it’s a rebirth of a classic hair removal epilator. Epilady was probably the industry standard all other epilators were measured against for years. Okay, decades. The Legend 4 is in effect Epilady Version 4-point-0. As we already know about computer upgrades, they are typically fabulous touch ups from previous versions that run smoothly and have special gizmos and what-nots on them that make us forget the previous version before we realize it.
That is, unless we’re talking about New Coke or Windows XP. Epilady 4.0 on the other hand is an example of an upgrade that was done right and expertly.
I like to think it’s all part of the original evolution to take over the world launched by Epliday Version 1.0 so long ago back in the days when shaving for women consisted of underarms and maybe up to the knees on our legs. It was the job of the Epilady to show us all that since bra burning was passé and streaking seemed to be coming back in accordance with the increase in nude beaches around the world, the Epilady had a job to do and a lot of work ahead.
It’s because of the trail blazing work of this hair removal epilator that it carries the word ‘legend’ in its name. I still have my very first Epilady that was given to me by my mother. I bow to it frequently and thank it for starting a movement that I think of often when I’m in a pair of short shorts.
Benefits of the Epilady Legend 4 Full-Size:
- The Legend is the newest Epilady with a wider head for wider coverage, faster results
- Wide head is angled at just the best degree for the ultimate in superior hair removal
- Super quiet, removing the shortest and finest hair in a second for smooth skin up to 4 weeks
- Includes dual voltage adaptor to use anywhere in the world
- Two operating speeds
10). Braun Xpressive Body System Rechargeable Wet & Dry Epilator
When I first read the details on the box of the Braun Xpressive Body System I thought they were joking about the hair removal epilator tucked inside. The phrase “high frequency massage rollers, smart lights and pivoting heads to soothe the skin” made me shake my head in disbelief then I tried to picture what the epilator looked like, I had UFO’s in mind, and I burst out laughing.
It sounded too silly to be real and real silly enough to require me to investigate further. Of course, having been kicked out of the store for a much earlier epilator-related incident in my college years I asked one of my girlfriends to pick one of those up for me. She required a few samples of wine to be convinced that what she was doing was purely for science.
The Braun Xpressive got a real workout but stood up to the challenge removing even the smallest hair we could find. It also scored bonus points with one test subject solely on the basis it has variable speed control. With the data collected we were able to draw a few conclusions.
- First, the Braun Xpressive Body System Wet & Dry is a great epilator for women with many wonderful features resulting from design.
- Second, the hair removal achieved was comparable to the higher end models and was much better than waxing, tweezing or any other torturous method of hair removal.
- Third, it wasn’t such a good idea to conduct our tests with wine, as parts of the test subject’s bodies were shaved that had never been shaved before. The interesting thing about that is, that since it was a Braun hair removal epilator doing the work, the parts that became bare, remained bare for days and days and days. This was a fact at least one test subject found to be very delightful.
Benefits of the Braun Silk-épil 5:
- This Braun offers extra gentle epilation with high frequency massaging rollers with its Comfort System and Olay Pre-Epilation Wipes to soothe the skin afterwards
- 40 rolling Close-grip tweezers guarantee instant removal of the shortest hairs and prevents stubble
- The Smartlight highlights those fine light colored hairs so you can’t miss them
- Choose the right speed for your needs- extra gentle or super efficient hair removal
- Leaves skin hair free and smooth up to 4 weeks